12 April 2010

Herzog Hits and Misses

This week on the CAB I take on the title and many other things in Werner Herzog's polarizing new film My Son, My Son What Have Ye Done.

While not even Verne Troyer can save that one, it wasn't so long ago that I saw Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Maybe it was the fact that Herzog (despite good opportunities) didn't use any bird's eye view cameras in his latest film, whereas Bad Lieutenant featured iguana AND alligator cams.


It also has Nic Cage and his bad back oscillating between the influence of Harvey Keitel and Jimmy Stewart as he shells out lines like, "You don't have a lucky crack pipe?" I defy you to name a better B movie ensemble cast than Val Kilmer, Eva Mendes, Xzibit, Fairuza Balk, Jennifer Coolidge and Shawn Hatosy. Not to mention My Son, My Son players Brad Dourif and Michael Shannon, who have much less screen time but much more to do in Bad Lieutenant. Arrange the queue accordingly.

No comments: